Human beings spend more or less one third of their life sleeping. This means that the average adult sleeps for about eight hours a day. The duration of sleep required is even higher for children. Hence, considering the importance of sleep and the amount of time we spend on this activity, it’s worth it to invest in a high-quality mattress to sleep on.
The Need for a High-Quality Mattress
A superior quality mattress can help you get restful and rejuvenating sleep every night. It can also offer many other benefits, such as those listed below:
- Comfort: Quality mattresses are highly comfortable. They provide the ideal balance of pliability and firmness. They are airy and breathable, which ensures that the mattress won’t run too hot during the summers. They can also mold themselves in accordance with the shape of your body, thus cradling you while you sleep.
- Health: A high-quality organic mattress will be hypoallergenic and naturally resistant to the growth of mold, mildew, and dust mites. It will also be free of harmful chemicals which could cause respiratory issues in humans. Hence, such a mattress will benefit your health in every way and allow you to get restful sleep every night.
- Support: A well-made, organic mattress will provide your body with adequate support. It will provide the required amount of support to the neck and back without compromising on the level of comfort. With a high-quality, handcrafted mattress, all the pressure points in your body will be well supported, thus preventing any aches or pains.
- Safety: By purchasing a chemical free mattress, you will be able to ensure that your sleeping environment is always safe and free of harmful elements. For this purpose, you must always invest in organic mattresses which are made from naturally flame-resistant materials like wool, so that no chemical fire-retardants will have been used during the manufacturing process. Additionally, you should check for certifications to ensure that the mattress doesn’t contain any artificial pesticides or other types of chemicals.
- Durability: While organic, high-quality, handcrafted mattresses may be more expensive up front, they actually help you save a lot of money in the long run. This is because they are extremely durable and resistant to wear and tear. They can last for decades with little maintenance and upkeep. Hence, you will save a lot of money that you might otherwise have had to spend on repairs and replacements of an ordinary mattress.
The Importance of an Organic and Chemical Free Mattress
We all need a mattress to sleep on, but not all mattresses are created equal. Even when you buy a mattress from a reputed company, it is important to determine exactly what type of mattress you are buying. One of the factors to consider is the need for an organic and chemical free mattress.
Many reputed mattress brands manufacture non-organic mattresses which contain harmful flame retardants and pesticides. And you need to do your research and ask lots of questions when buying in order to ensure that you will not end up with such a mattress.
Non-organic mattresses are often made of memory foam, which is prone to sagging after a period of time. This material also forms lumps over time, which can be very uncomfortable to sleep on.
Moreover, being an artificial material, memory foam does not have the natural breathability offered by wool, latex, and cotton. Hence, these mattresses can run really hot during the summers and cause great discomfort to the sleeper. After all, nobody likes to wake up sweaty and restless in the morning.
Unlike wool and cotton, memory foam and other artificial materials are not naturally resistant to dust mites, mold, and mildew. Hence, mattresses made from such artificial or non-organic materials typically contain chemical pesticides and herbicides which can be harmful to humans. They can cause respiratory issues and a plethora of allergies, especially for children and people who are sensitive to chemicals.
Memory foam mattresses also contain artificial flame retardants as this material is not naturally resistant to fire. Such flame retardants can pollute the sleeping environment over time. Glue and formaldehyde are frequently used to manufacture these mattresses.
After a few years, you might be breathing in a variety of chemicals and volatile organic compounds (VOCs) every time you go to bed or lie down on your non-organic mattress. Needless to say, this would compromise your health as well as the wellbeing of your loved ones.
Apart from allergic reactions, volatile organic compounds can cause dizziness, dyspnea, nose and throat irritation, headaches, and fatigue. In extreme cases, breathing in these compounds can also lead to vomiting, nausea, and liver damage.
These are some of the reasons why you must invest in an organic mattresses and chemical-free mattress, on which you can sleep for many years in comfort and safety. You should also check for the relevant certifications before purchasing such an organic mattress from a reputed manufacturer.