Every product on Bio Sleep Concept has it's own question and answer area. If you have a product specific quesiton you should see if the product page already has an answer and consider submitting your question on the product page directly. Below you will find general questions and answers about Bio Sleep Concept products as a whole. Click on any question below to be taken directly to its answer. Please review the answers below as well as any products you have questions about before contacting us with a new quesiton.
- Certificates - Where is the proof of our claims?
- Manufacturing Process - How do you actually do it?
- Benefits of Wool - What is so special about wool and why do you use it a lot?
- Benefits of Organic Cotton - What about your cotton?
- Benefits of Natural Latex - Isn't latex bad, especially Talalay latex?
- Where does your wool come from?
- Foam - Why do you use High Resilient (HR) foam in some products?
- Boric Powder (Acid) - Why and when do we you use it?
- Warranty - What warranties do you have?
- Customized Products - Can you really make something custom for me?
- Return Policy
- Shipping Times and Cost - Why does it take so long and how is the cost determined?
- Mattress Sizes - Why are your mattresses actual thicknesses not truly 7 inches, 9 inches, or 12 inches?
- How can I become a retailer?
Bio Sleep Concept is truly committed to our claims! We have a wide range of products from 100% organic to All Natural and Blended products to suit every lifestyle. To view our full collection on certifications as well as our actual certificates please visit our Certification Page by Clicking Here.
Unless stated otherwise all of Bio Sleep Concept's products are carefully hand crafted. Machines assist our manufacturing process but it is actually the human hand that does a majority of the work creating every one of our high quality products. If you would like to take a peak inside our manufacturing process Please Click Here to take a Vitual Tour of our Factory.
Before written history humankind was using wool to make life more comfortable. For many years scientists have tried to make a synthetic product with all of the qualities of wool and they have yet to succeed. The simple truth is, nothing compares with the comfort, resilience, wear-ability, versatility, and health benefits of pure natural wool. Wool is a:
- Natural Flame Retardant extinguishing itself when touched to a flame.
- Hypoallergenic, perfect for people sensitive to chemically produced synthetics.
- Natural Dust Mite Repellent. Wool evaporates moisture quickly and is inhospitable to dust mites. This is good news for children and adults with allergies and asthma.
- Supporting and Soothing Material. Those who suffer from fibromyalgia, arthritis and rheumatism find that wool supports them with cushioned softness. Wool’s springiness relieves pressure points and muscle aches, which is why hospitals have used wool to enhance their patient’s comfort for years.
- Temperature Controlling Material. Wool is warm in cool weather, cool when it’s warm. Its fibers form pockets of air which insulate you naturally. You’ll stay dry with wool and won’t feel damp or chilled because wool wicks moisture away from your body.
Our cotton is 100% certified organically-grown without boric acid powder or mineral oil. Organic farming does not employ synthetic pesticides, herbicides, or fertilizers, making organically-grown cotton a clean, pure, toxin-free, natural material that is ideal for people who have extreme chemical sensitivities. Furthermore, organic farming results in sustainable healthy soil management that reduces erosion and run-off. All Bio Sleep Concept mattresses have a ticking made of the very best cotton. In addition to this layer of cotton, a layer of pure wool is added directly underneath the ticking maximizing your bodies ability to breathe as you sleep. With Bio Sleep Concept you will always be sleeping in a bed that is dry and at a comfortable temperature for sleeping.
Latex by itself is far superior to traditional coil spring mattresses and offers better comfort and quality than solely foam products. Latex can easily be crafted to our customer’s exact specifications, ranging from size to firmness. Bio Sleep Concept’s pure natural Dunlop latex mattresses take this concept a step further and have been designed and developed from our own personal experiences. We offer an uncompromising pure latex that is never mixed with harmful chemicals or synthetic substitutes like Talalay latex is. We even use a traditional natural latex glue in our manufacturing process to insure we stay true to our promise to deliver 100% natural and organic products. You can expext Bio Sleep Concept's premium 7 zoned Dunlop latex to last 50 years without degradation or tears in the latex compared to today's 20 life of Talalay latex. Here is what you can expect from our latex products:
- Made of 100% Natural Sources. Our latex mattresses are made using Certified 100% natural latex and are free from any harmful or toxic substances. Our latex is processed in our sister company in Thailand using the finest concentrated latex, harvested and processed no longer than two months before the date you placed your order. There is no harmful fumes or residues in our latex. The covers are made with a certified organic 100% cotton knitted soft fabric quilted with our Eco-Valley pure wool.
- Self-ventilating Structure. A latex mattress has millions of interconnecting air cells which self-ventilate as a result of sleeping movements. The net result is a cool and comfortable sleep.
- Minimal Partner Disturbance with Uniform Support. Movement on any side of the mattress does not result in any movement on the other side. No one is disturbed by any unwanted motion. Latex also prevents "roll together", a common complaint when one sleeper weighs more than the other. The surface pressure on the body is reduced to a minimum, thus eliminating the "hammock" feeling from similar style beds.
- Bacteriostatic Properties and Dust Mite Resistant. Our latex mattresses are 100% fungus free and possess antibacterial properties which will last for many years. Due to the natural properties of latex, dust mites (which aggravate asthma) and bed bugs are discouraged from breeding.
- Long Lasting. Our latex mattresses can last for up to 25-30 years. Each of our latex mattresses comes with an unrivaled, revolutionary guarantee of 15 years.
- Certified 100% pure and natural. Our mattresses are biodegradable and environmentally friendly. Our latex is certified 100% Natural from ECO Institute ID 0508-12233-001 Our certified organic 100% Cotton from OEKO-TEX Standard 100. Our certified Eco Valley Pure Wool from Pacific Northwest Grown Pure Wool.
Bio Sleep Concept receives our wool from Natural Felt, a separate independent branch of the Bio Sleep Concept family. The bats of wool are created by carding wool from the Blackface Sheep breed, raised in the north west of the USA. The wool from this breed has a larger stable length fiber and undoubtedly makes the best filling for bedding articles. We personally visit each wool grower to assure that the wool comes from healthy sheep raised sustainably on managed lands. We also pay a premium for the best fleeces of their flocks from the collaborating growers; the fleece is cleaned and carded which produces the finest known woolen batting available. When you purchase a bio sleep concept futon, mattress, or wool article made with wool from natural felt, know you are assured that the following are true:
- Proper Grazing Methods. Adequate field rotation to decrease soil erosion and to reduce the risk of sheep acquiring internal parasites.
- Predator Friendly. Growers are encouraged to use trained sheep guardian dogs (not trapping or shooting) and the inclusion of other large animals, such as llamas, to guard the flock.
- Healthy Veterinary Practices. Only certain kinds of medications and supplements are used to treat the sheep. Alternative caring methods are used to keep the sheep healthy with fewer chemicals.
- Chemical Control. Natural Felt opposes the use of herbicides and pesticides on the fields that sheep graze on. Natural Felt is able to determine if the growers use those chemicals with their routine wool chemical testing.
- Scouring. Natural Felt carding mill has searched out the mildest and most environmentally friendly detergent possible for the scouring (cleaning) of the wool. Today, all of their wool is cleaned with Bio-soft Wool Scouring Detergent, which leaves no detectable residue and is biodegradable.
- Extra Tests. In addition to personal visits to assure proper growing methods, they send samples of their wool to independent laboratories for chemical testing. A sample of the raw wool is sent to the University of Mass-Lowell where tests are performed comparing their batting to a competitor's for strength, resilience, flammability and endurance. Tests demonstrated that a mattress made with Natural Felt batting would last twice as long as a competitor's before flattening on top.
Foam, also known as HR (High Resilient) foam, used in Bio Sleep Concept products is sourced from FXI who uses a patented and proprietary VPF process to create a variety of foam products. These foam products have unique and precisely-defined physical characteristics. The process is carried out in an enclosed chamber to control the foam pouring conditions and no longer requiring the use of hazardous air pollutant auxiliary blowing agents (ABA's) to manufacture the full range of polyurethane foam products. The pouring of foam in an enclosed chamber also provides the means for collection of emissions into carbon beds. The foam we use is tested and certified by CertiPUR-US® to meet or exceed the following standards:
- Made without ozone depleters
- Made without PBDE flame retardants
- Made without mercury, lead, and other heavy metals
- Made without formaldehyde
- Made without phthalates regulated by the Consumer Product Safety Commission
- Low VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) emissions for indoor air quality (less than 0.5 parts per million)
Mattresses and futons that do not contain wool will be made with cotton and/ or filling that has been lightly treated with Boric Powder. United States Federal Regulation CFR1633 requires that a flame retardant be used in these types of products. The only exemption that we can offer to this law is for customers who furnish a doctors note stating, for health reasons, that a product without Boric Powder is required; this is an extremely uncommon medical diagnosis — you are typically in contact with Boric on a daily basis.
We have chosen to use Boric Powder because it is the most natural flame retardant we can use besides wool. Boric powder is a salt like powder substance and it's safety can be attested to by its usage in various industries. You can find boric acid in foods, and in many products around you. It's a mild antiseptic used in eye drops, contact lens cleaning solutions, and other formulas for external use. Its acidic properties inhibit the growth of bacteria. Since Boron is an essential trace nutrient that we need to consume, most multi-vitamin and mineral supplements contain Boron in the form of Boric Acid.
If you have purchased a mattress or futon from another source and they have claimed that the product (excluding wool items) does not contain any flame retardants, they are either not disclosing the full product information or are violating US Regulation CFR1633.
Warranty information is available for download directly from each product page. Copies of these warranties are listed below for your reference. Clicking on the link should auto-download the PDF but you can also right click (long press) on the link and click save link as to download the PDF manually.
Latex Topper Warranty
Bio Sleep Concept is committed to meeting our customer’s needs. Do you require a special sized bed for boats, RV’s, or medical purposes? Do you require certain levels of firmness in a product? Whatever your need may be we will do our best to fill it. Please send us a message through our contact page with your needs or call us during our business hours (number located on our customer service page under ordering).
Returns for all items will be accepted within 30 days of the invoice date (items are invoiced as of the shipping date). Returned merchandise must be in new saleable condition and include the original packaging. It is against US Federal Regulations for us to resell certain bedding items once used by a customer. Because of this regulation, special ordered items, most linens, furniture, mattresses, or items returned because of personal reasons (buyers remorse) will incur a restock fee of up to 25% if returned. We will always work with you to find a fair solution.
Shipping to and from our factory will be covered by us in the case of defects or errors in your order. All other returns will require you to pay the shipping back to our factory. As a reminder we cannot restock merchandise that has been used, washed, or contains hair contamination (human or animal). These items will not be fully refunded and are subject to the restocking fee. Unlike our competitors we do not markup our products prices to cover the cost of customers who return merchandise for personal reasons. This practice is what allows us to offer the highest quality products at a very reasonable cost.
We inspect all returns. Any items found to be accidentally or intentionally damaged or altered by customers are not subject to our 30 day warranty and are subject to a higher restocking fee.
Please send returns and exchanges using an insured and/or traceable service to the address given you in your RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) request.
A majority of our products will take an average of 7 to 10 business days to arrive at your home starting from the day you place your order. The day your order is placed marks the beginning of your products life. We start the process of hand making your product with fresh raw materials ensuring it is of the highest quality. We never mass produce products and shove them on shelves for months before selling them. Please visit A Tour Through Our Manufacturing Process for more information on our manufacturing process.
Shipping cost for standard shipping is calculated based on the products weight and shipping dimensions. We have worked hard to reduce the cost of shipping, even creating special mattress lines that come apart to ship at cheaper rates. Expedited Shipping cost takes into account the cost carriers charge for expedited service as well as the extra work our factory needs to complete your item. This includes speeding up the production process and placing your item ahead of others in the production queue.
At Bio Sleep Concept we offer mattresses in thicknesses of 7 inches, 9 inches, and 12 inches. Our futon lines range from 4 inches to 8 inches. Custom orders are allowed and if it is possible we will manufacture mattresses and futons to different specifications. If you have purchased a mattress or futon from Bio Sleep Concept you may have noticed that their thicknesses may not actually equal the stated thickness. This is caused by two factors:
- Mattresses and futons are compressed for shipping and may require several days to retake their original thickness.
- Most mattresses and futons come with a cushion layer or topper usually made from wool that stays slightly compressed. This in no way affects the comfort, quality, or claims of the product. These layers are meant to naturally compress. Stated thickness therefore are a products actual thickness upon manufacturing but may differ slightly upon arrival.